Saturday, December 1, 2012

Losing the Winter Game



Apparently our cabin is located in the “banana belt” of Delta Junction.  You may think this would be a good thing, but it is resulting in major defeat at the “How frozen was you house this morning?” game.  This morning when my boss asked what temperature we had this morning, I hesitated and almost lied, desiring to subtract a few degrees so I could have a chance of at least tying her temperature.  I decided to be truthful, though, and knowingly lower my head in shame and said 31 below.  I was not surprised when she exclaimed, “Oh, really???  We hit 39.8 below.”  It was a crushing blow.  I started my day feeling quite embarrassed about our wimpy temperature at home.   The inferior feeling welling inside me continued throughout the day as patrons would ask the same dreaded question.  Each time I would preface my response with, “I guess we live in a warm part of town…we only hit 31 below” and like clockwork, the patrons would widen their eyes and state proudly that they had hit 37, 40, and I even heard 43 below.  I would sigh and hope that we could change the topic quickly to a conversation in which I could feel like an equal again. 
            
Despite that we live in the banana belt, the past few days I have driven to work with a semi-frozen clutch and stick shift in our car.  When I walk into my cabin after work, I gain 100 degrees from the outside temperature in an instant.  The sad fact is that after gaining 100 degrees, I still feel cold in the cabin! Our toilet also froze up again, so we are back to the outhouse.   It takes all of the energy one can muster to crawl out of bed in the morning and go to the outhouse.  But on the positive side, it does at least wake you up. 
Ben and me embarking on our Turkey Trot ski on Thanksgiving

We must mention before this post is over that we had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving with Charli and Todd.  We will be busy this weekend writing up our blog for their visit, so stay tuned!  



Returning from the ski...a little more frozen than when we started

4 comments:

  1. Oh my I am frozen and feeling very guilty it was almost 70 here today! Thanks for sharing your awesome adventures in the banana belt! Love brea

    ReplyDelete
  2. instant 100 degrees... holy cow. I've never thought about it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily! My condolences at your daily feelings of defeat. However, I would like to point out that you and Ben's reporting about your cold weather bravery is one upping any hard core factor that I ever thought I earned living in Sitka. You can call me any time you want to beat someone at the cold factor game.
    And I agree with "the north sister" ;) - you totally blew my mind when you described the 100 degree difference inside versus outside. Wowza.
    Love,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete